Thursday 3 July 2014

Keep your head safe

Hello, everyone! Hayley again.
How was your Canada Day? This was my first Canada Day in Canada and my friends told me I should enjoy it, so I was really looking forward to it.
I was in downtown starting in the afternoon and I saw many people wearing red clothes with their faces painted with the maple leaf. I also watched the parade and found it very interesting because there were many cultures represented. They wore their traditional clothes and acted traditional performance. And there were Korean performers as well! It was so cool.
Of course, I saw fireworks too. That was the main purpose I was in downtown. The fireworks show ran longer than I expected and so nice. Some people sang 'Oh Canada' during the fireworks. We don't have Korean Day or anything similar so it was very unique experience for me. Thank you for giving me this great experience Canada!

This is a Korean traditional dance:)

 
Anyways, back to the football blog.
Have you ever heard of the NCCP?
It's the National Coaching Certification Program in Canada. If you want to be a coach, you have to be registered in this program to be certified. It's designed for all types of coaches.
 
In BC, as a football coach, you must also complete the 'Making Head Way in Football' online learning course at coach.ca
Summer camps are starting and Football BC wants to make sure coaches have taken it before the season starts. My supervisor also wanted me to try it so I can have an understanding of some of the things coaches are responsible for. The course was about concussions and head injuries and some of the topics included:
- What to do to prevent concussions
- How to recognize the signs and symptoms of a concussion
- What to do when you suspect an athlete has a concussion
- How to ensure athletes return to play safely
 

It has three sections; Prevent, Suspect & Act, and Return to Play. Each section has scenarios and you have to choose the best course of action to make in each situation as a coach. Most of the scenarios are one minuate videos so it's not too difficult or complicated. After choosing the answer you can read additional explanations. There are doctor's explanation videos as well so I could understand better and clearer.
 
The course was a little bit tough for me because English is not my first language but I think most of you that won't be an issue.
If you don't understand the scenario you can review it as many time as you want. I reviewed each scenario many times so it took a little bit longer for me to complete but I think it won't take a very long time in general to complete.
This course was related to situations in football specifically but through this course I gained a lot of useful knowledge about concussions in general. Even though I don't plan to be a coach I think the course will be helpful for daily life. Concussions can happen anytime. We might fall down walking on a street, riding a bicycle or we might roll down stairs. It can not only happen to us but also our family or friends as well. So if this kind of situation happens I can understand what I should do based on this course.

From this point of view, it can be helpful for parents whose kids are participating in football. Athletes have to bump into each other often in football so concussions are a reality. Concussions don't have obvious symptoms so if you don't treat it properly you can make it more serious or even dangerous. To prevent this situation, I want you to take it and get as much information about concussions as possible. Besides this program, there are many concussion education websites. Even if you don't plan to be a coach please check them and educate yourself to protect your kids and yourself from concussions!

If you want to see education links please visit our website
 

SIGN IN, STAY SAFER

No comments:

Post a Comment